All students experience learning loss over summer vacation; however underserved children lose more than two months in reading achievement while their middle-class peers maintain or improve reading achievement. Limited access to educational activities over summer break is one cause of the achievement gap. Another is access to nutritional meals.
In a single program we feed the body and the mind. We provide these children a unique opportunity to maintain reading and math skills over the summer along with a reliable healthy meal. The lunch will be served by the Hockomock Area YMCA and Milford Area Humanitarian Coalition YMCA.
Summer Reading and Math Club Benefits:
- Provide opportunity to read aloud and discuss stories with peers in an emotionally safe environment
- Provides time to practice using mathematical skills
- Provides time to develop critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Provides 4 nutritional meals from Monday through Thursday for over 6 weeks of summer break to those that are likely to go without
- Children develop healthy habits while developing learning skills in an enjoyable way
Our Summer Reading and Math Club starts on the 9th of July, Monday through Thursday, from 9:30 am to 11:30 am at the Milford Unitarian Church. The club is FREE for children ages 4-9. Registrations will be accepted until June 30. Daily walk ins will be accepted space permitting.
To register, please call: 508-933-8915 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or sign up here
Our goal is to enroll 50 students from Milford and surrounding towns to the 2018 Summer Reading and Math Club. Help us reach our goal. Please donate now.